Jo Leinen, a former lawyer in Freiburg, was Minister of the Environment of the Saarland from 1985 to 1994. From 1999 to 2019, he was a Member of the European Parliament for the SPD. There he was, among other things:
- Chair of the Delegation for Relations with the People’s Republic of China (2014-2019),
- Member of the Committee on Constitutional Affairs (Socialist spokesperson until 2019, Chair from 2004 to 2009),
- Member of the Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (until 2019, Chair from 2009-2012).
He received numerous awards during his career. For example:
- Environmental Award of the German Foundation for Environmental Protection (1994),
- Award of the Members of the European Parliament (MEP Award 2010),
- title “MEP of the Year 2010” for his commitment in the field of climate and environmental protection,
- “Environmental Award” of the Cevre College in Istanbul for his commitment to European environmental protection (2011)
- Federal Cross of Merit on Ribbon (2017)
He is also a member of the Europa Union Parliamentary Group in the European Parliament and Honorary President of the European Movement International (EMI).